abgayle

abgayle

Immortality is the Suck

Immortality is the Suck - A.M. Riley I hate paranormal books.So why did I buy "Immortality is the Suck"? Because it's written by A.M.Riley and I love her writing style.So I sucked my prejudices up hard and started reading. It didn't take long to hook me. As usual, you want a synopsis go elsewhere, you want to know why I liked the book, read on.A.M.Riley draws great characters. Her hero, Adam, is a snarky, twisted, card-carrying anti-hero. He'll be the first person to tell you (as he does at times) that he's not the nicest person around. But he "Saves the Cat" on enough occasions to make the late, great Blake Snyder proud.His relationship with his boyfriend, Peter, is as you would expect fraught with problems because of Adam's nature.Scattered through the book are a number of Spanish swear words and phrases. If you can't work out from the text what they mean, check out the glossary at the back. Mind you Adam is of Italian descent but that doesn't stop him fitting in with all the hispanics he hangs around with.Enough humor, usually dour, is present to lift the book above the rest of the paranormal pack, with some sly digs at vampire establishment figures such as Anne Rice.I enjoyed "Immortality is the Suck" so much, I might even read the sequel.