abgayle

abgayle

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier - Crystal Rose The first time I read this book, the fact that it started in deep third POV through Ryan's eyes, then when you were happily used to that switching first to Phillip's and then later to just about every character distracted me from the story.On the second read through, it didn't bother me nearly so much and in fact makes the book work in a different way.The reader has already come to feel the deep attraction and emotion between the two men and the shifting viewpoints put that relationship into context allowing us to see how they exist within the wider framework of their friends, their friends' families and the army itself.At that point, the book's emphasis shifts just as much to a statement about army life and the relationships between those that stay at home and those that serve, totally from the POV of the former.We don't get fed the action as per Special Forces or others that concentrate on the fighting. We see it from the aspect of not only those who are left behind but those who come back and have difficulty fitting in with normal life. Even the relatively unscathed Mark, the ex-drill sergeant, has problems coping with some of the wives.Yes, it's a romance and perhaps the acceptance of their gayness is unrealistic, but leaving that aside, the sex is hot, the relationship intense and the background of their friends and relatives also plays an important part of this story.