abgayle

abgayle

Four Gay Weddings and a Funeral

Four Gay Weddings and a Funeral - Ryan Field I thoroughly enjoyed this book. However, I must admit I have never seen the original film. Some people classify Ryan's books as rip-offs of current hetero romances. I see them as a translation into gay romances and the differences and the scenes chosen to depict the equivalent are actually very revealing. In fact, I brought this subject up in an interview I did with Ryan which you can find on my website http://www.abgayle.com/1/post/2011/12/the-depth-of-field-ryan-field.html:AB: As a writer, your “specialty” seems to be writing gay versions of m/f romance classics. Do you do these scene by scene and translate/equate that to what would be equivalent in the gay world? Or, am I reading too much into it?RF: I actually see it as more of an overall picture, rather than scene by scene. And some things from the original story don’t work with m/m, so I had to change a lot. Sometimes, what I find works, is to take the opposite of what’s happening in the movie and put it into the m/m book. As in FGWAAF, I hated the movie and the weird love story. I wanted to just shake them both and say “grow up”" This is why I added a new character, changed the ending totally, and gave it my own twist. For me, the original was too boring and too sappy. So, when people say the books were rip-offs, they most likely haven’t read the books in full, to grasp what I’ve done. I change each and every storyline. It’s only the basic formula from which I draw the ideas. And it’s really my publisher who insists on using titles similar to the movies. If I had my way, I wouldn’t do it. But this is something that seems to be working, so I let the publisher do what they want.The other huge reason I started doing these quasi movie books was also because gay men like me, and the tons of others who read my books, have never had things like this to read before in the mainstream. There was nothing for us to identify with in mainstream movies/love stories at all. The only books and movies we saw, until recently, were depressing, downtrodden, “arty” things that only touched certain fringes of the gay community and revolved around suicide, depression, and dark subjects. I’m sort of making up for all the things I always wanted to see and read, but no one would take seriouslyOne thing I can say is that the plot and the characters caught my interest and kept me turning the pages. Probably because the central theme about who you choose to marry and why and the difference between loving someone and being in love with them resonated with me on a personal basis.Highly recommended.