abgayle

abgayle

Seize the Fire

Seize the Fire - Laura Kinsale Before I started reading m/m I used to devour Regency Romance, beginning with Georgette Heyer and progressing through Eloisa James, Julia Quinn, Loretta Chase and Laura Kinsale. The last four were my first foray into ebooks, as I discovered authors who were rarely seen in print in bookshops and libraries in Australia. (We are a deprived lot and rely heavily on female librarians who managed to sway the purchasing power of their male counterparts who believe romance is BAD and would much prefer to fill the shelves with murder and mayhem.)Ebooks also enabled me to seek out backlists and my Fictionwise account grew alarmingly! But I didn't care!A chance remark by Elisa Rolle, reminded me of Laura's books, so I re-read "Seize the Fire".Now that I'm a fledgling author, I read the book with a different viewpoint. This time, I was more conscious of the formulaic aspects and the way the action jerked forward at times in incredibly fortuitous ways, but there are some great pieces of writing and a delicious heroine and anti-hero with so many "Save the Cat" moments that I lost count. (Or should it have been Save the Penguin?)This is a story of two distinct parts of a relationship. The infatuation stage where each sees the exterior of the person. The bared bones stage when all the fences are down and they re-fall in love with the inner person The plot itself is unbelievable. As we say in Australia: Just how much can a koala bear.The historical world building and different locations probably suited the era/market/publisher but, for me, detracted from the inherent story underneath about dealing with grief and guilt and learning to accept oneself and others flaws and all. Nowadays, these aspects would be more to the fore. It's not even as if all these physical ports in the storm needed to be visited to get the point across. Almost like three category romances rolled into one.The surface is glossy, but I also enjoyed the meat underneath.