abgayle

abgayle

Switching Gears (Solitary Knights of Pelham, #3)

Switching Gears (Solitary Knights of Pelham, #3) - Claire Thompson This is probably a 3.5 rounded up to four.Others have commented on the short time frame as being the main problem with this book.I don't think the problem was so much the short time frame, as that within the time frame it felt rushed.The whole set up was fine. The reader is 56% of the way through the book before the encounter starts. The last half should have had a few more pages to do the set up justice.A couple of times a paragraph of conversation started at the right place and ended at the right place, but it was as if there was a whole chunk of dialogue missing in the middle to get it from point A to point B.“Jack, when Alexei called me, he asked me to come over and meet with a man he holds in high regard. He explained this is a man ready to reconnect with the part of himself that can give up sexual control in order to find that intensity of experience he has been missing all these years. It’s not just a matter of letting yourself be tied up and whipped. You and I both know it’s so much more. Alexei told me, Jack. I know you—I know what you need, if you can let go enough to find it. If it makes you feel better, I’m not doing this for you—it’s for him, for Alexei.”This is a seminal moment when Marcos has to convince Jack it's the right thing to do, but it's all handled in one paragraph.It is this transition from anatagonism, to reluctant acceptance, to full acceptance, to welcoming it that really makes these sorts of enemies to lovers stories enjoyable. When I saw I was half way through and knew where it was going in the end, I though it could have been half as long again.Spreading out the time frame wouldn't have solved the problem. They did know each other fairly well on one level, it's the journey to that first acceptance that needed to take longer. At least in my humble opinion.Maybe it's only minor quibble, but it's what stops this book (and others of Claire's) being a solid 4 or even 5.I love the variety of her characters and scenarios. I just feel she rushes the important bits. The mental bits.The only other minor comment I might make is show me where all these men are who are so in tune with and able to articulate their feelings. I don't know any. LOL.